Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Oil Painting

So.. weekly now I have started an oil painting class.

See the shapes.. Make your darks darker and your lights lighter.

Its really hard for me to not see what I'm seeing. I see a tree.. not the darks and lights. And to paint you need to start with basics and see shapes.

So I'm trying to see where shadows fall and how everything is a shape. When I look at a stream.. I see it.. but I really don't see it. I don't see the browns and the darkness of it. And at the same time the blue from the sky that is reflected in it.

So I need to start seeing shapes.. stop conforming and let my eyes see the shapes. Standing back from a picture really lets you see the lights and darks.. as does squinting at it.

1 comment:

Vinit Bhansali said...

This is wonderful to hear.
Take it, coming from a life-long painter, it's an awesome experience to fill a canvas.

However, don't let the initial "training" with just geometric shapes and single objects bore you.

Also, do it your way, not the trainer's way. Thats tip #1.